Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cooking

Lately cooking has been my creative media due to the fact that S occupies so much of my time. I've been experimenting with different seasonings that don't include salt, different ways to cook without oils (or minimal use of oils), including more veggies, and a variety of proteins.

Today I made a rice that was really yummy. The only problem is that I ended up adding a bit too much seasoning at the end so it was a bit too spicy. Here's how I did it. I made it for two large servings.

1/2 cup brown rice
2 tbsps each chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder (I added more at the end to enhance the seasoning. So adjust as your tastes require.)
3 small cloves of garlic, smashed
1/4 of a small white onion, minced
1 cup water
1/2 cup chicken broth (I used the left over broth from the burritos the other night)

1. Mix the rice, water, and chicken broth in a medium sized sauce pan. Add the seasonings, garlic, and onions.
2. Bring the rice to a rolling boil. After it reaches a rolling boil, lower to a simmer.
3. Let simmer (without a lid) for about 30 mins. Keep an eye on it in case it needs more liquid (occasionally the rice needs more liquid because of the evaporation rate). Test doneness after 30 mins. If it is not to your liking then continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes, adding time and water as necessary.

Later this week I will post a hummus recipe, and I will be posting a black beans and rice recipe. I am working on perfecting both. Hope you enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment